Saturday, August 27, 2011

August Garden Casserole

This was a total winner with everyone. Even my three-year-old wolfed it down.

Boil 1 package of whole wheat rotini according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.

Saute some garlic, onion, and diced swiss chard stems together for a few minutes until tender but not brown. Add a handful of fresh snap beans, chopped bell pepper, chopped tomato and some sliced carrots (though these can be omitted -- they weren't local) and heat just to warm. Then add to a large casserole dish along with the chard leaves (chopped) and the rotini.

Then make a roux. I would tell you how but I always forget and I end up looking it up in Joy of Cooking. It's basically melting butter and whisking in flour to create a base for a white sauce. So I made a roux and added milk and grated cheese to make a nice, thick cheese sauce, which I added to the casserole with 2 TB oregano, salt and pepper. There was only enough sauce to lightly coat the pasta and veg.

Covered with bread crumbs (seasoned with basil and oregano) and baked at 375 for 20 minutes.

No comments: