Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Day 27: The Beginnings of Things

thousands were crushed in Nepal
while I worried about my flight schedule.
God.

I don’t know how long a person can live on rice and dirty water.
other people know that.

schoolchildren huddle under desks boom ratatat.
I stuff three quarters into a baggie labeled “ice cream money.”
God.

a few weeks ago my fair golden girl asked me
as she brushed her fluoridated teeth
she asked
are there still slaves?

so many, hon.  

people throw bricks because nothing ever changes
nothing ever changes.

someone is dying.
God have mercy.

I write these things and strike them through
because I am ashamed.
because to write is not to feed a child
or to stand in the way of a gun
or to pull a body out of the rubble.

but I write them again.
because
because
words are the beginnings of things.
please God.
words must be the beginnings of things.

let indignation begin here,
because dignity is not a high-priced brand name commodity
to keep on the top shelf away from the riffraff
it has no nationality
no race
no gender
no sexual orientation
and no religion
and how dare we
how dare we
how dare we treat it like it does?   

let compassion begin here,
because for God’s sake
people are suffering
whole futures lost
universes dimming in half-closed eyes
there is food on my table
and none on yours
there is paint on my door
and blood on yours
there is sun in my sky
and fire in yours
and there is no
there is no
there is no good reason for that.

who will set this right?
I dull myself lull myself with the lie
that all I can do is nothing.
but I can make words.
and words are the beginnings of things.

you think because there are earthquakes the sunshine doesn’t matter?
you think because there are bombs the roses shouldn’t bloom?
that's despair dressed in realism’s tattered robes;
that’s the chain that binds us to the slowly turning earth;
that will kill you without lifting a finger
and that will get us all nowhere.

do not despair.
find the beauty that reminds you what to fight for.
the light that streams through a cracked and broken pane ignites more hope than undiluted sun.
the rose that lifts its head out of the ashes cuts a bright red peephole out of a monochrome present.
humanity deserves better than it’s getting
and you are the giver,
and the receiver,
and the gift.

begin something. 

No comments: