Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Swamp

You’ve been weeping into the dirt so long
You’ve made yourself a swamp to sink in.
Couldn’t be helped.
Your business now, though,
Is not to sink.
I know how heavy it is.
It’s a vacuum pulling your insides out of you,
Hauling you back down like a greedy hand
Every time you try to rise.
You can’t see this but
It’s up over your shoulders now
And mounding on top of your back.
You can’t see the sun shining above you either,
With your face wet and buried and the muck in your eyes,
But that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
The sun is going to harden that mud into bricks
And it’s just going to get heavier, beloved.

So I need you to try to get up now.

We don’t say this to each other often –
We should, maybe, all the time –
But I’m only one step ahead of you.
I’m not singing from some oasis
Not some rosy country road
Not a warm fire and a cat on a winter evening
Or the arms of a love free of questions.
I’m covered in mud.
But I’m breathing.

You don’t think you can tighten your neck
To pull your face up out of that mess --
Can you turn it, though?
Turn it just a little to one side
So a bit of air can get to you.
Maybe it’ll smell like honeysuckle.
Maybe you can blink the crust off your eyelashes
And see a little light.

If that’s all you can do,
Well, just sit with that for a minute.
You’re a little freer than you were,
A little more you.
Every time you decide,
You’re reclaiming something,
I promise you that.

So turn your head, just a little bit.
Decide to.
And then decide again.
And we’ll see what happens then,
After a while.

  

3 comments:

mom mom said...

Wow, what a beautiful haunting hope filled poem! But what really got me, was the voice of your writing! If I had read this, without knowing that you wrote it, I would have thought these things. That it was written by a man. That it was written by someone who grew up in and still resides in, a very rural area. That is what always catches me by surprise, how you can write and sound so different from poem to poem. Almost as if the words came from different brains.

miclowery77 said...

I think this may be my favorite so far. Really well done. A beautiful piece.

miclowery77 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.