Friday, January 20, 2017

#WhyIMarch

I am not a rib

I am not a peel-away subset of a male species
created for your pleasure
I do not owe you
my life
my body
my smile
my silence
my attention
my obeisance
or my time
I give these
All of these
They are not yours to demand

I march
to remind you
where your rights end
and mine begin

I am not just a pussy
mr president

I am not your rib
I have my own ribs
and I will stand in this land
and yell
until they crack
that I am whole
not as mother
daughter
wife
but as human

I am as you
but I did not come from you

you came from me.


3 comments:

mom mom said...

You are amazing

Unknown said...

this is beautiful.... and so inspiring. i am amazed by your talent and how this poem so eloquently states everything that i feel. thank you.

The Cooks Traveling Through: said...

Beautifully said!