Friday, October 28, 2011

The End of Locavore Season

Tomorrow is the last day of our local farmer's market. In the last couple of weeks I have fallen woefully short of my goal of cooking with only fresh, local produce. With my husband working longer hours, it's harder to get dinner ready without pulling out the last string of my unraveling patience with my two girls. So, these last two weeks I have opted for sanity rather than sustainability, using more frozen than fresh and making way too much mac 'n' cheese.

Even though I haven't eaten exclusively local as I planned, I call this season a great success. With a little extra planning, discipline and self-forgiveness, I was able to feed my family some spectacular food, support my community, and rediscover the excitement of cooking creatively.

In the morning I'll go to the market in the cold and say goodbye and thanks to the farmers and vendors who have fed us all summer, and I'll start looking forward to the spring, when I will undoubtedly start this adventure all over again.

1 comment:

Red said...

We eat alot of mac n cheese here too. I applaud your efforts and am gonna try to cook like this in the spring too. I love the idea if getting foods from the local farmers, hopefully our budget will allow me to do it. ;)