Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A Flaw in Your Anatomy

Lord, hear my prayer.
Grant me my petition.

If it’s truly in your image I am made,
Unmake me now.
Take back your graceful stature;
Stitch me into some new form,
For, God, with all respect,
I’ve found a fatal flaw in your anatomy.

You bid me love, O God.
This vessel is not fit to hold such weight.
The lungs heave valiantly,
The muscles flex and loose,
The heart – oh, God, the heart …
But it beats on.

The body fights like hell to meet your charge,
And makes itself near equal to the task,
Except for this:
We have one countenance,
Two eyes that look ahead.
To face someone in full and perfect love,
We must to every other turn our back,
Or else with constant whirling
Be made mad.

Lord, hear my prayer.

I confess I’d never seen
Until today
The beauty of the seraphim,
The prophets’ holy monsters.
I think I understand now
Why Revelation’s angels teem with eyes.

Forgive me, Lord,
For wanting past my due,
And grant me my petition.
Make me as Ezekiel’s cherubim.
Give me four faces
That I might love with all I am
In every course.


No comments: