Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Kick

Click here for video of this poem performed *

I’d begun to think
lately
that there’s not much more to life
than drowning,
as if we’re born
knowing the sweetness
of the air
before we’re dropped
into the surf,
where we learn
by days and years
how to accept it,
the process of sinking --
how to quit fighting
and to breathe the water,
breathe it in gulps with relish
to help us forget
how horrifying drowning is.

I’ve been curling up
to watch the bubbles rise,
limp with
my own weight,
hands over my ears
to block
the whispers of
“impossible” that
followed as I
drifted downward
fact by fact by fathom.

This morning, though,
I kicked,
convulsively.

I kicked
because someone
reminded me
that there’s still air up there,
and I’m not the only one
who’s tasted it.
I’m not the only one
who wants to breathe again.
Someone reminded me
how bright it is,
how clear,
how mesmerizing are the clouds
reflected in the wet
triumphant irises
of seekers who have fought
to get above.
Someone reminded me,
just by loudly being,
that it’s worth believing
in things
the drowning
cannot see;
that maybe it’s not foolish
to look for love in every pair of eyes;
maybe it’s not weak to cry
when someone offers up
a passing kindness;
maybe giving more than you have
doesn’t make you a doormat,
it makes you a saint;
maybe sacrificing for someone
who doesn’t care
is noble instead of pathetic;
maybe it isn’t odd, maybe
there’s something beautiful
about finding seven layers of epiphany
in a coat of cracked paint;
maybe a child’s voice really is
that
magnificent;
and maybe it matters –
God, maybe it actually matters
that we’re listening.

Someone,
without meaning to,
reminded me
that it’s not crazy
to kick toward the surface;
it’s crazy to think
there’s anything reasonable
sensible
logical
in breathing water
when there’s such a thing
as air.

There’s still air up there.

Remember?

No comments: