Tuesday, September 29, 2015

epidemic melancholy

She called in sad to work today.
His hands itch with music he’s not making.
I stumble over a name.
It’s the weather that’s to blame
For this epidemic melancholy:
Gloomy, messy warmth,
Broken vow of autumn,
Damned rain hissing old secrets into our ears.
You hear that?
Underneath that meek hypnotic drone
It taps,
Begging entry.
Remember?
Damned bitter rain.
Who needs these bleak reminders?
[Can I not feel it still
running rivers down my neck,
putting out my fires?
Do I not know how they were set?]
Steaming, biting rain,
Whispering the words that redefined us.
Listen up.
No one gets to redefine us.
I am not an indiscretion.
You are not a quitter.
He hasn’t failed.
She isn’t useless.
We are more than the whispers of a dark September night.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just found this...I just found you and this writing...May or may not be about what I said but thank you..thank you for just a friend in the "dark".