Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Day 12: Excavation

Are you
brave enough
to be discovered?
I promise I’ll be gentle –
as gentle as one can be
while one excavates a soul.
I’ll pull the scales loose
lovingly.
It will be more
undressing
than dissection. I’m
good at that.

You’ll tell me you read children’s books—
not with your radiant bundle giggling on your lap
but late, alone by lamplight
in a room painted with shadows, where
you always realize halfway through the book that
you’re the child,
and you cry, uncertain
whether you are sad
or deeply grateful.

I’ll tell you about the night
I polished off the homemade hooch
at an apartment party, and a
doped-up rennie grabbed my hand
and looked into my eyes
to tell me “Daddy’s sorry,”
which had no meaning for me, but
was magic in the sense
that he believed it
so I smiled and let a tear
roll down my face.

I’ll always ask you why.
And when things get
too quiet
I will wait.
You have to want
to be seen.

When I find you
it will hurt
the way that grieving does,
the way it hurts to notice
that your skin has gotten loose
and bunchy at the joints.

But that will fade
because you’ll know
someone was looking for you,
begging you to want
to be discovered.

I’ll tell you that you’re beautiful,
and you in turn
can tell me if my
truths are truths,
and if you can forgive me
for discovering.




No comments: